Summery Hamptons Eats
By Alexandra Jacobs
Hamptons is a popular summer spot that vacationers and celebrities go to for a spell. There are a variety of Hamptons rentals available for your desired duration of stay. While there, they dine on some delicious food that is perfect for the culture there. Here are three recipes; Potluck Pasta Salad (appetizer), Spiced Chicken and Grape skewers (main dish), and Pomegranate Margarita (delicious drink) for your enjoyment.
Potluck Pasta Salad
Potluck Pasta Salad is great for the hot weather in the Hamptons and it is light and refreshing; using only three ingredients. This salad is very easy to make and can be ready to be served in approximately 30 minutes. The recipe suggests that a specific pasta brand is to be used because it has more fiber and less carbs as well making it healthy for people with diabetes. The recipe calls for 1 Dreamfields Rotini (suggested) or Penne Rigate, 4 cups of mix-ins, and Herbed Vinaigrette dressing.
1. Prepare the pasta by following the directions on the box. Drain, rinse with cold water, and then drain again.
A. Instead of just waiting around for the pasta to be cooked, go ahead and make the dressing and choose preferred mix-ins.
B. Mix-ins can be vegetables that are cooked to a crispy tender taste such as green beans, broccoli, asparagus, corn, peas, zucchini, edamame, or squash. Or, if one is health-conscious, they can use raw vegetables; carrots, tomato, cucumber, bell pepper, celery, avocado, spinach, radish, or onion. Also, can use olives, cheese, herbs, salami, cooked chicken, tuna, shrimp, crabmeat, ham, beef, steak, or prosciutto.
C. Make the Herbed Vinaigrette Dressing by mixing 1\2 cup white wine (or rice) vinegar and 1\3 cup olive oil. Add in 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard and 1 minced garlic clove, and then add the herbs, such as thyme, basil, oregano, or parsley.
2. Add preferred mix-ins and half dressing to the cooked pasta; stir around to coat everything and chill it in the refrigerator or serve it immediately. Use the rest of the dressing if desired.
Spiced Chicken and Grape Skewers are light and easy to eat while mingling during some kind of outdoor party or gathering in the Hamptons; very healthy with high amount of protein. Follow this recipe and you will be savoring on finger-licking delicious stuff.
1. 2 tablespoon olive oil
2. 1\2 teaspoon lemon zest
3. 1 tablespoon lemon juice
4. 2 minced garlic cloves
5. 1 teaspoon ground cumin
6. 1\2 teaspoon ground coriander
7. 1\2 teaspoon salt
8. 1 pound chicken breast that has been skinned and deboned; cubed
9. 8 ten-inch skewers
10. 1 1\2 cups seedless green grapes
11. Cooking spray
12. 2 tablespoon chopped fresh mint leaves
13. 1 lemon; cut into wedges
1. Mix together items 1-7 then add cubed chicken to coat.
2. Let the chicken sit and absorb the flavors for 20 minutes. (If the skewers are wooden, soak them in water in duration as well).
3. Put 4 chicken cubes and 4 grapes on each skewer, make sure they alternate.
4. Prepare the grill with the cooking spray.
5. Cook the cubed chicken/grapes for about 3 to 4 minutes each side.
6. Coat the cooked chicken/grapes with the mint and serve with lemon slices.
Pomegranate Margarita is a wonderful drink that even Hampton’s natives that are health-conscious may approve of this because it has much-needed vital antioxidants. This is a very easy drink to make quickly, too. Four ingredients are needed; 3 ounces 1800 Respasodo Tequila, 2 ounces Pomegranate Liqueur, 2 ounces Cointreau, and 1 ounce Fresh Lime Juice. Simple recipe looks like this:
1. Mix all the 4 ingredients and shake well.
2. Serve it as it is, on ice, or frozen.
A. If desired, salt and a lemon wedge may be added to the rim.